It’s No-Hair-Loss November! Hair density, hair thinning, and hair loss- as we age, we begin to notice that our hair strands are not as healthy or strong as they used to be. Because of this, we’re constantly trying out new products in hopes that it’ll save our once gorgeous locks. You’ve probably tried out all sorts of things, from vitamin supplements to paraben or sulfate-free shampoos… but have you heard of rice water? Thanks to Kim K, rice water is the new trending hair treatment. It promises you fuller, thicker hair in a matter of weeks but we’re here to find out whether or not that statement actually holds true.
So..What is Rice Water?
It’s exactly what it sounds like. Rice water is the starchy water that’s left over after the rice is cooked or left to soak. Pretty simple, right? It’s only recently been made viral because of the Kardashians, but this practice of applying rice water to your hair has been a popular practice since the Heian period (794-1185 CE) in Japan. Today, it’s become a beauty ritual for many women all over Asia.
Benefits of Rice Water
How can something so simple be so effective? The starchiness, for one, is a big contributing factor. It coats your hair with proteins in order to strengthen your hair. It’s also great to use on most hair types because it works with the natural composition of the hair, allowing your hair to absorb nutrients and replenish amino acids. The rice water treatments also deliver vitamins, antioxidants and minerals to your hair which are essential to strengthening your hair. Some of these vitamins include:
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B6)– important for cell turnover and overall scalp health. Helps to stimulate hair growth & thicken hair follicles.
- Niacin (Vitamin B3)– improves the strength and elasticity of hair follicles. Reduces inflammation by increasing blood flow within the scalp.
- Inositol (Vitamin B8)– Nutrient found in many fruits & grains. Your body also makes its own inositol. Increases hair elasticity & strengthens hair.
- Magnesium- rejuvenates hair follicles & dissolves calcium buildup on the hair follicles due to hard water
The many vitamins & nutrients in rice water are the reason why so many people claim it to be a great hair treatment. The variety of benefits rice water promises include:
- Achieving rapid hair growth
- Strengthening hair follicles
- Improving hair density
- Preventing dandruff
- Containing anti-inflammatory properties
- Maintaining overall hair health & shine
If you’re liking the sound of rice water so far, here’s a simple step by step process on how you can get started on your own rice water treatment from home:
- Use ½ cup of uncooked rice
- Rinse well
- Place in bowl with 3 cups of water
- Soak rice for about 30 minutes
- Strain water and pour into a new bowl/spray bottle
- After shampooing, pour rice water into hair & massage into scalp
- Leave it on hair for about 20 min before rinsing with warm water
Cons of Rice Water
Because of the many nutrients that are found in rice water, it’s safe to say that it does help the hair stay healthy to an extent. But like many home remedies, it’s important to keep in mind that this treatment may not work for some people. Those with lower-porosity hair will see their hair less likely to fully absorb all the nutrients. Overusing rice water can also dry out your hair due to protein overload. That being said, if you already have a dry scalp, it’s better to do a rice water treatment no more than twice a week or avoid using rice water at all. Some other alternatives that you may want to consider are products that are scientifically proven to help your hair grow strong and healthy. Consider:
- KD Vibrance Hair Regrowth Serum– Contains peptides, vitamins and proteins that support keratin production allowing your hair to become fuller and thicker. It also contains HRS-10 which is a biomimetic peptide combined with a specialized red clover extract rich in biochanin A.
- KD Internal Radiance HSN Vitamins– scientifically formulated supplement that contains vitamins to support healthy hair, skin, and nails. Supports skin elasticity, UV protection, provides antioxidant & anti-inflammatory support.
Time’s ticking, so don’t wait until it’s too late to prevent your hair from falling out and learn to keep your mane looking gorgeous!