Beauty hacks, tiktok trends, and viral videos- everyday there is a new movement in the beauty/skincare world. A lot of these trends, however, seem almost too good to be true. Because of this, we find ourselves skeptical and end up asking professionals whether or not performing these trends will actually work. Face-taping is no exception. The concept of face-taping derived from popular social media platform Tiktok. Its claim? That taping your wrinkles overnight for a week can get rid of them.
The Concept of Face-Taping
Face-taping is a method where users apply tape to the areas of the face where they wish to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. The application is a week-long process that’s usually done overnight & removed the following morning. The tape itself can be made of latex, silicone, or polyethylene plastic. The idea is that the tape will keep the muscles in place throughout the night, limit its motions and minimize wrinkles. TikTokers are claiming that face tape gives them that supermodel taut skin, lifted eyes, and snatched jawline. It’s used temporarily for events to hide signs of aging by immediately lifting your face. Although it became viral on tiktok, it’s definitely not a new technique. Face tape has been used for years by drag queens and actresses to create a snatched effect and help secure their wigs.
Face taping can end up doing more harm than good. Using a strong, adhesive tape runs the risk of pulling the top layer of your skin off and ends up damaging your skin barrier. Because of this, using the tape for long periods of time can cause irritation, redness, clogged pores and breakouts.
Okay, but Does it Actually Work?
Most professionals would agree that it does NOT work. Instead, it can actually give you the opposite effect. The “smoothing effect” you see only lasts when the tape is on. Once removed, you’re back to square one. Face tape can also end up deepening your facial lines and making your wrinkles more noticeable.When taping your muscles, you’re preventing them from doing what they’re supposed to do and making them work harder due to the resistance of the tape.
You’re basically training your muscles to become stronger which accelerates the formation of lines. This exaggerated stretching of the skin causes it to lose elasticity and become more saggy.
In theory, face-taping might make sense, but it’s too simplistic of a method for it to actually work. It’s better to do more research and invest your money in:
- Elastin-boosting ingredient
- Improves cell turnover, which reduces the appearance of fine lines and can treat them before they form
- KD High Dose Retinoid Regenerator– counteracts photoaging effects from UV damage while gently exfoliating your skin to improve tone & texture.
- Revital Eyes– contains a breakthrough retinoid to effectively combat the signs of aging while brightening and tightening tired eyes
- Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen
- Recommended 30 SPF or higher to protect the skin. Protects against sun damage and oxidative damage which contributes to premature aging.
- KD Clear Sheer Sunscreen– contains green tea, resveratrol, antioxidants and 50 SPF to help your skin fight against free radicals
- There’s a reason why so much money has gone into research in modern aesthetics.
- Neurotoxins such as Botox or Xeomin are fillers specifically designed to prevent wrinkles.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Procedure that uses lasers to create a controlled burn to the skin to stimulate the natural healing process. This jumpstarts elastin & collagen production which then produces new skin cells.