MY NAME IS DR. KAY AND I’M A PHYSICIAN AND FACIAL PLASTIC SURGEON BASED IN LA. I LOVE HELPING PEOPLE LOOK AND FEEL THEIR BEST! CHECK OUT MY INSTAGRAM @BEAUTYBYDRKAY TO SEE SOME OF MY WORK.
You’ve just washed your face and now you’re staring at a shelf of skincare products. If this is your first time really getting into skincare, you might be confused about the “right way” to put all this stuff on. Let me walk you through the steps of layering your skincare products!
Please note – I highly suggest that you buy physician-strength skincare instead of products from CVS or Sephora. Store-bought brands only have 2% active ingredients. Products like mine have 20-30% active ingredients!
1. Start Light: Serums, the thinnest and most active products, go on first. They deliver high-potency ingredients into the skin fast and efficiently. You want your most highly potent ingredients to absorb first! Use my KD Triple Shot Serum – with peptides and resveratrol for anti-aging & wrinkles, a green tea for redness and caffeine for tightening! Yes people! Caffeine is an instant facelifting pore tightener!
2. Add An Antioxidant – Add a layer of Vitamin C to brighten, protect against brown spots and sun damage, and promote collagen production. Vitamin C helps promote a more youthful appearance to help you shine!
3. Take a Minute – Don’t just pile everything on, give a minute between products for maximum absorption and penetration. We don’t want product to pill – so brush your teeth, apply your Latisse and wait a minute in between steps.
4. Lock It In! Now you need to lock in those amazing ingredients with moisturizer – it seals in your serums and antioxidants, making them more efficient and long lasting.
5. Sensitive skin: Reverse the steps – If you are super sensitive to everything, use a gentle moisturizer as your first base layer and then add serums. This thin layer reduces irritation and potency.
6. Add an Oil for Real Glow! Oils make your skin look radiant in small doses. Put them on after creams for dryness. Oils penetrate moisturizers, but not vice versa. Try my Vitamin C – it’s a delicious facial oil base that brightens! Skip the oil if you’ve got more than 3 layers- it can get greasy.
7. Time for SPF! Don’t forget sunblock! Sunscreen should be your last step, then makeup. It sits on top of your other products, otherwise it prevents other products from penetrating! My KD Perfecting Sun Shield SPF 50 is the best – it’s tinted, SPF 50, with antioxidants and vitamins. Pure mineral is the best to prevent brown spots – let the light bounce right off of you!
8. Add that Nighttime Step – Skin rejuvenates at night, so don’t forget your Retin A, a pea sized amount mixed with a quarter size bit of moisturizer helps Retin A products to penetrate with less irritation. Retin A products are super important for cell turnover to help prevent fine lines and wrinkles. I can’t emphasize how important this is for your skin!
And that is how you layer your skin care regimen!
Check out what I’m following on Instagram @beautybydrkay