There are a wide variety of acids that have lots of different benefits for the skin. Glycolic acid is one of my favorites, but lots of people don’t even know what it is! Glycolic acid is naturally occurring substance derived from sugarcane and belongs to a class of chemical compounds called Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs). AHAs work to dissolve the bonds that hold together upper skin cells to reveal newer, fresher-looking skin.
Because of its ability to remove dead, dull skin and reveal the fresh skin underneath, Glycolic acid is a popular ingredient in chemical peels! If you’ve never tried a peel, it’s a fast and easy way to rejuvenate your face. Peel novices should start out with a light Glycolic peel – a painless treatment with no downtime other than a few days of light peeling. You’ll have to make sure to moisturize your face afterwords and wear lots of sunscreen!
Here are 8 reasons why a Glycolic Peel is a great treatment for you to try:
- It stimulates the production of collagen and elastin
- It accelerates the skin healing process
- It repairs damage to skin cells
- It penetrates the skin and removes the top layer of dead, dull skin
- It rejuvenates, repairs, and rebuilds new skin
- It exfoliates and cleanses pores
- It leads to glowing, more youthful skin
- It’s safe for sensitive skin