My name is Dr. Kay and I'm a physician and facial plastic surgeon based in LA. I love helping people look and feel their best! Check out my instagram @BeautyByDrKay to see some of my work.
Skin Care Tips for Your 30's
- Speed up cell turnover: As we move into our 30's, our cell renewal rate tends to slow down. Exfoliating with ingredients like Alpha Hydroxy Acid or Retinol (like my Diamond Line Refine) help remove dead skin cell layers which helps speed up skin renewal.
- Show antioxidants some love: Antioxidants help repair and prevent damage to the skin. They also increase collagen production, promote healing and help reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Antioxidants like those found in my Triple Shot Serum repair the skin, remove sun damage, and help you glow.
- Protect and strengthen the skin: Hopefully at this stage you are wearing sunscreen on a daily basis because unprotected sun exposure will cause wrinkles! You should also be reapplying as needed throughout the day. My Ultimatte Sun Shield provides SPF 50+ coverage and has a nice tint to even skin tone without making you feel greasy.
- Prevent future wrinkles: Although you might not be seeing wrinkles yet, a dose of baby botox can help you stop frowning so often. By not using these muscles, you will prevent wrinkles in the future!
Skin Care Tips for Your 40's
- Combat hyper-pigmentation: Skin pigmentation problems like sunspots and uneven tone become increasingly common in our 40s. Products containing Hydroquinone, like my Brightening Pads, can help cut down on any darkness or blotchiness in the skin. Hydroquinone, Lactic, Kojic, and Azelaic acid aid in reducing pigmentation. Vitamin C also aids in decreasing hyper-pigmentation and is a great anti-inflammatory. It improves elasticity, helps build collagen, and provides extra protection against UV damage. Try my Vitamin C serum, which tightens and brightens.
- Reconsider your skin type: Teens are not the only ones with acne! Oil production tends to slow down as we go through a number of hormonal changes in our 40's. It's important to note that breakouts may occur during this time of life due to changes in hormones. Keeping products with Salicylic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid and Retinol on hand are recommended. Dry skin also becomes more common during this stage of life, even if you formerly were someone with oily skin. Hyaluronic Acid is a water binder, it holds and maintains up to 1,000 times its weight in water. Products containing Hyaluronic Acid, like my Pure Hydrate, are great hydrators without being heavy.
- Treat texture: Using Retinol to help speed up that cell turnover rate is key. Retinol is an anti-aging ingredient derived from Vitamin A which encourages a younger and radiant complexion by assisting with cell turnover, cell regeneration and growing new collagen.
- Take care of your eyes: This is an extremely important time to take care of your eyes. Your windows to the soul are a very delicate part of your body and you may notice fine lines and wrinkles beginning to form in this area. Help treat this part of your body with eye creams containing hyaluronic acid, stem cell growth factors or even Botox. My enriched Revital-Eyes cream hydrates and stimulates collagen growth. Botox can help erase crow's feet and wrinkles!
- Smooth away the wrinkles: Natural collagen is what gives skin a smooth, supple, youthful appearance. As you age, natural collagen breaks down, resulting in wrinkles and loss of facial volume. The best way to refresh your appearance is by replenishing the volume your skin has lost. This diminishes wrinkles, resulting in a more youthful look. Juvederm or Radiesse fillers are ideal choices to help with this. In addition to providing immediate volume correction, they also stimulate production of your own natural collagen. The results are immediate and last a year in many patients.
Skin Care Tips for Your 50's
- Don't forget the neck: The neck is an area we often forget to treat, but is a vital part of keeping skin looking fresh and youthful. There are less sebaceous glands in the neck and thus less oil production in this area which leads to dehydrated skin. Don't let neck wrinkles creep up on you! Use products that help to treat, firm and hydrate the neck area such as my Lift it Up Cream.
- Get more advanced: It's time to bring out the big guns. Get the ultimate in anti-aging with SkinMedica's TNS Essential Serum. This is formulated from naturally occurring stem cell growth factors, antioxidants, soluble collagen, cytokines and matrix proteins clinically proven to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, diminish the appearance of age spots and dyspigmentation as well as improve skin texture, tone and elasticity. TNS Essential Serum is an un unprecedented combination of the renowned stem cell growth factor formula TNS Recovery complex in one chamber and a potent mixture of antioxidants, peptides and other innovative anti-aging ingredients in the other. It promotes the skin's natural regeneration process.
Skin Care Tips for Your 60's
- Get better beauty sleep: Getting enough rest is an important part of the skin's health and vitality. Sleep not only helps rejuvenate both the body and the spirit but also helps prevent puffiness and dark under eye circles and regulates metabolism. Make sure that you are getting at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night and your body will thank you.
- Tighten up and get rich: The breakdown of collagen and elastin is more prominent at this age. Focus on rich, emollient moisturizers with extra anti-aging and tightening additives to help repair skin. Use products with Retinol which is found to promote collagen re-growth. Focus on collagen stimulation with Sculptra Aesthetic, a facial injectable that replaces collagen lost during the aging process. Sculptra is the only volumizer scientifically designated to stimulate natural collagen growth and lasts more than 2 years. Sculptra replenishes lost volume by stimulating growth of your own natural collagen to treat the underlying causes of facial aging.
For more suggested anti-aging products, check out my Anti-Aging section in my web store.
Check out what I'm following on Instagram! @beautybydrkay